Lessons Learned: PLEN

/
0 Comments
This October, my college offered me the opportunity to attend a seminar in Washington DC with a nonprofit called PLEN (Public Leadership Education Network).

But first: how did I get to have this amazing experience?

I sucked it up and in a brief moment of courage, I jumped at the opportunity when it presented itself. My school's pre law program has an advisor. Let's call her Melanie for now. At my college's convocation, there was a panel for several advisors in different pre-professional tracks to speak about their work such as the pre law track, the business track/program, pre med, etc. After the panel, I nervously approached Melanie and told her I was interested in the pre law program. I was so eager that I set up an appointment for the next day! She was quite approachable, patient, and easy to talk to (and still remains this way). When I went to her office, I found more clarity in my professional path but also confusion. The world just seemed too big for a freshman undergraduate student to fathom. Nevertheless, halfway through the meeting, Melanie brought up a seminar she had been meaning to send 2 interested women to. 

"Do you think you would be interested?"

I gave an enthusiastic yes.

Three weeks later, I was on my way to DC with a fellow schoolmate who I came to admire in the next few days.

So I learned a pre-seminar lesson: go out and find opportunities, talk to people and they might surprisingly appear.

The seminar featured panels of women who did all different sorts of legal work and advocacy. There were women who worked for nonprofits, the DOJ, different congresspeople, firms, IBM, and much more. In that weekend, I was inspired, empowered, and challenged. I learned a lot, many lessons that I will condense and impart on anyone reading my blog!

#1. Everyone has his/her own definition of success. 
I am personally aiming to find a job I'll love and not be starving at the same time. So many people seem to hate their job. When I find a job that will sustain me as well as be enjoyable and engage me, I will achieve my personal definition of success (which may change).

#2. There are so many paths to Capitol Hill.
If that's where you want to be, don't just think you have to get there the same way as someone else. Find the way that works for you

#3. You can do policy with a law degree, but you can't practice law with a policy degree.

#4. Walk into that courtroom, classroom, conference with CONFIDENCE! Give yourself a little mental prep and remember to BREATH!

#5. Learn to coexist with people with different political views.
You will be eating dinners, going out for drinks, and generally socializing with people who might not see that one topic you're so passionate about in the same way you do. It doesn't mean you have to shun them. Put the differences aside, just like you would for other aspects of people's backgrounds.


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.